Monday, September 28, 2009

Who Cares?

In recent talks with Defense Secretary Robert Gates, Secretary Gates stated that it would be difficult for the military to close Guantanamo Bay on the time table given by President Obama. After taking office in January Obama signed an executive order calling for the closing of Guantanamo Bay in January 2010. Even Senator McCain said it would be very difficult for the closing of Guantanamo on time, but McCain said there is progress being just that it will take Little longer then planned. Most Republicans are against closing the prison, many don't want to have terrorists on American soil and have fought to keep it open.
In my opinion Guantanamo Bay should not be closing at all. I don't understand why its such an issue closing it to me it is a great place to house prisoners. It gives America a place to keep terrorists and keeps them off American soil. No one wants a terrorist anywhere near them even if they are going to be placed in maximum security prison. I also see how Guantanamo Bay prison affects the worlds image of the United States government. Other people see Guantanamo Bay as a place away from the rest of the world where we mistreat the prisoners and torture prisoners for information. When I look at the options I truly that Guantanamo Bay is the best choice when it comes to holding terrorists. I don't understand what the government plans to do with the 220 detainees at Guantanamo Bay where will they go? By putting them into a U.S. prison like the government says I feel that this is a recipe for disaster. What would happen to the detainees where placed with American inmates I'm positive that they wouldn't be very popular. I only see this as way to increase violence in U.S. prison and that is not what we need, caught terrorists should not put such a strain on American resources.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/09/27/cuba.guantanamo.closure/index.html?eref=rss_politics

No comments:

Post a Comment